James C. Metzler CPA, most recently was Vice President/Small Firm Interests for the AICPA and member of its senior management team. In that role, he led AICPA initiatives aimed at serving the needs of CPA firms including their practice success, advocacy and issues in serving private company clients. During his tenure, he built and directed the team that transformed the AICPA Private Companies Practice Section into a globally recognized and respected source of practice management resources and expertise. Jim also brought meaningful alliances to the AICPA, including relationships with associations, consultants’ communities and a formal alliance with the U.S. Small Business Administration. During his leadership of the Specialized Communities teams, the Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) credential was founded and the SSVS1 (Statements of Standards for Valuation Services) was issued.
Prior to joining the AICPA in 2003, Jim spent 32 years with Gaines Metzler Kriner and Company CPAs in Buffalo, NY, where he was a partner, and was a co-founder of GEMKO Information Group, Inc., a successful technology consulting arm of the firm. He also spent three years as co-founder of ConvergenceCoaching LLC, a national consulting firm dedicated to helping CPAs prosper by assisting them in developing and implementing success plans.
Jim’s contributions to the CPA profession include:
- He is a frequent and recognized lecturer for the AICPA, State Societies and global CPA professional associations on practice management and success
- Listed as one of 100 Most influential People in Accounting for 18 years running by Accounting Today
- Named to the Winning is Everything Advisory Board Hall of Fame 2013.
- Received the On the Edge award from Leading Edge Alliance
- CPA Practice Advisor named Jim one of the Top 25 Thought Leaders for consecutive years
- Jim authored How to Build a Million Dollar Technology Consulting Practice and numerous articles on practice management
- U.S. Small Business Administration’s NY District Office 2007 Financial Services Champion of the Year Award
- 2012 Distinguished Alumni by Canisius College in Buffalo, NY