Timothy L. Christen is Chairman and CEO of Baker Tilly Virchow Krause, LLP (Baker Tilly). Baker Tilly is the branded US member firm of Baker Tilly International, the world’s eighth largest accounting firm network. Tim chairs the firm’s Board of Partners and Compensation Committees. He is a CPA and a Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA).
With more than 2,500 employees, Baker Tilly provides a wide range of accounting, tax, assurance, and advisory services. As the 13th largest firm in the nation, Baker Tilly serves clients from its Chicago headquarters, as well as 28 other offices across twelve states. It is one of the 100 largest privately held companies headquartered in Chicago.
In addition to serving Baker Tilly, Tim currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of the American Institute of CPAs, an organization with more than 412,000 members. Past positions and accomplishments include:
- AICPA Vice Chair
- Past AICPA Board of Directors
- Past AICPA Governing Council
- Past AICPA Major Firms Group Chairman (Eighty largest US firms excluding Big 4)
- Recognized by Inside Public Accounting as one of the five Most Admired US Managing Partners (as voted by Major Firm Managing Partners)
- Recognized by Accounting Today as one of the 100 most influential people in the accounting profession
- Recognized by Accounting Today as a Managing Partner Elite
As a representative of the American Institute of CPAs, Tim currently serves on the International Integrated Reporting Council (IIRC), a global coalition of financial services professionals and non-governmental organizations dedicated to advancing the practice of integrated reporting (IR).
Tim is also actively engaged with Baker Tilly International and other member firms. He currently serves on the Baker Tilly International Board of Directors, the North American Regional Advisory Council, and chairs the Remuneration Committee.
- Lyric Opera of Chicago board member and Civic Engagement Committee Chair
- Commercial Club of Chicago member
- Economic Club of Chicago member
- Chicago Civic Federation board member and Executive Committee member
- Chicago Club member
- Madison Club member
- Wisconsin Manufacturers & Commerce (statewide Chamber of Commerce) past board member and Executive Committee member
Honors & Awards
Named to the Dane County Business Hall of Fame by InBusiness Magazine, 2013
Awarded the Wisconsin University’s 2001 Distinguished Alumnus Award and served as the keynote speaker for its 2001 commencement
University of Wisconsin – Platteville, Magna Cum Laude